PEOPLE WE LIKE – ZAHA HADID

LET’S TALK A BIT ABOUT ZAHA HADID

Wow. All I can say is wow. We are so used to seeing men rock the forefront of architecture that we rarely expect to see a woman with so much passion, drive and vision in the field. In today’s day-and-age we are really starting to see feminism take on a new form and pushing the limits even further for equality. I love reading about women breaking down walls, making new records and being the “firsts in history” to achieve things-it is incredibly inspiring to me.

I have to be honest, I didn’t know much about Zaha until I read an article about her work. That article inspired me to write this post, learn more about her and spread the news about her to all of you. Zaha is an Iraqi-British architect. She was born October 31, 1950 and later studied at the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London, England. Her work is very futuristic and ‘out of this world’ so to speak. But Zaha doesn’t just design buildings; she also designs furniture, shoes and automobiles.

Back in 2009 she worked on this Lacoste boot:

zaha-hadid-lacoste-footwear-11
And she also designed the Z-Car I between 2005-2008; a city car that has zero emission and is powered by hydrogen. Here’s what that concept turned out to look like:

940x400xth_65d1300db123ce22f6e2569fb36764f8_1211_zcar1_phot_03-e1368875711963-940x400.jpg.pagespeed.ic.XBVq7d33yv

As you can see, Zaha’s designs are very futuristic and bold. Normally when one thinks about futuristic design or modern architecture they tend to bring to mind great names such as Frank Gehry, Frank Lloyd Wright, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, etc. These men are some of the greatest architects of our time, but Zaha is right up there with them. She has won countless awards; the stand out to me being the first woman in history to receive the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2004. The fact that Zaha doesn’t limit herself to architecture alone is amazing. It shows that we don’t have to stick to just one facet of life. We can explore other interests and push ourselves to continuously grow, learn and achieve. I’m going to leave you now with photos of some of her amazing work and a link to her website. Please do take a look at her other work and I encourage you to learn more about this incredible woman.

BMW CENTRAL BUILDING

media_51624

ABU DHABI PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE DESIGN

Global-SCD-Backgrounds-2-outside-performing-center
AL WAKRAH STADIUM DESIGN-QATAR 2022
Qatar-World-Cup-2022-stadium
Website Link:

By Megan Birchfield
10882119_10152536685327543_2425468553712291735_n

1. First time to hear about this woman. She is so talented and her designs are indeed so futuristic.

I know.. Many people haven’t heard about her… but she is incredibly talented!

2. sinyees says:

This is also my first time know about her. Her talents are impressive! Thanks for sharing~

3. Mazino Oyolo Kigho says:

Thanks for education us about Aha Hadid. So she was the one that designed theZ-Car Ibetween 2005-2008; a city car that has zero emission and is powered by hydrogen.

Yeah, she is behind that amazing project! 😉

4. Tiffany Yong says:

Wow, I’m impressed with her works too. It’s impressive to see a female able to make a difference to the society and do what a man can.

It is very impressive, this is a equal world now 😀

5. Wow! Zaha Hadid is really talented. I have been to Abu Dhabi Performing Arts Ctr. The architecture was amazing and breath taking. I can’t wait to see the Al Warkah Stadium, Qatar in 2022.

Wow Kelly! I’m glad you had this experience!

2. Megan Birchfield says:

Kelly, that’s amazing that you were able to experience some of her work in person! I can only imagine how stunning it would be in reality. I will be keeping a watchful eye on the progress of the Al Warkah myself. It should be interesting to see it all come together. Thank you for reading my post! -Megan

6. leybainpublic says:

Zaha does have great mind. He is so creative and futuristic. Will try to check out more of her work of art.

Be sure to do! You won’t regret! 😉